FortiCloud is Fortinet’s platform for delivering security and security management services. FortiCloud provides customers with a simple way to connect, protect, and deliver their data and applications both on-premise and in the Cloud. It’s Cloud portal that enables you to manage all your Fortinet products and services. All from one place. Additionally, it also provides access to FortiCare.
Basically, it’s a unified console for managing your Fortinet products.
FortiCloud offers simplified central management, hosted log retention with large default storage, real time monitoring/alerting, service security, and a bunch of other things.
Register and Activate
You can register manually. Do this through the FortiCloud website, if you wish. But, you can easily register and activate your account directly from your FortiGate, as well.
Activate your account
– On your device’s dashboard in the FortiCloud widget, choose the Activate the status field.
– Then, choose Create Account, enter your information, and select OK.
– Another dialogue box asks you to enter your information to confirm your account. This triggers a confirmation to your email. Open your email, and follow the confirmation link.
After that, you’ll see a FortiCloud page telling you your account has been confirmed. The Activation Pending message on the dashboard will change to show the type of account you have. Additionally, it will give you a link to the FortiCloud portal.
– Go to Log & Report > Log Settings.
– Enable Send Logs to FortiCloud.
– Select Test Connectivity.
– Scroll to GUI Preferences, set Display Logs/FortiView From, to see FortiCloud logs in FortiGate’s GUI.
So, you’ve logged in and registered your account. Now, you can log into FortiCloud and start viewing your logging results. Two ways to do that:
– If you have direct access to your FortiGate, you can open your Dashboard. Then, check the License Information next to the FortiCloud connection status, there will be a link to reach the FortiCloud Portal.
– If you don’t have access to the FortiGate’s interface, go to Forticloud.com and log in remotely, using your email and password. You’ll have to confirm the FortiCloud account you are connecting to. Then, you will be granted access. Connected devices can be set up remotely with the Scripts page in the Management tab.
FortiCloud can be used for sandboxing files from a FortiGate. This allows suspicious files to be inspected without risking your whole network. It’s sort of like a quarantine. If the file behaves oddly, or contains virus, a new virus signature is created. Then, it’s added to the antivirus signature database.
Configure Cloud sandboxing by going to Security Fabric > Settings. After enabling Sandbox Inspection, select FortiSandbox.
The results are shown in a tab called AV Submissions in the FortiCloud portal. This tab only appears after a file has been sent for sandboxing.
Unified, simplified management
Real-time monitoring and alerting
Cloud-based log retention